The position - embedded system engineer
Navtech Radar is looking for a talented and experienced embedded systems engineer that is comfortable with both embedded hardware and software with a strong focus on all things Linux. In this role you will help design, develop and maintain the embedded systems used within our Industrial Automation products. Working within the Industrial Automation segment of the business the core focus will be the development new solutions. You will work alongside the segment product manager to coordinate the development of products internally and with technical partner development teams.
Company overview - Navtech Radar
Navtech Radar is a world-leading innovator, and multi-award-winning designer and manufacturer of commercially deployed radar solutions. Our ground-breaking technology is utilised by clients worldwide, across many industry sectors, from Perimeter Security Surveillance and Industrial Automation to Traffic Incident Detection on Smart Highways and as part of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). As part of Halma plc, a FTSE 100 company, you will be joining a group of companies whose mission is to make the world cleaner, safer, and healthier.
Our work headquarters
Our offices are nestled in the picturesque village of Ardington, South Oxfordshire, within an easy commute from areas of Reading, Swindon, Newbury and Oxford.
Our culture and benefits
We help create the right environment for our dedicated staff by providing a flexible, fun, friendly, and family feel. We are dog friendly and enjoy family, friends and group events. We have plenty of free parking for our employees and provide you with options to join colleagues on lunchtime walks, biking and other pursuits. We care about our staff, in fact, our culture is developed by them, for them.
In this role you will be:
- Supporting the design and selection of processing hardware to use within our solutions.
- Integrating and building embedded Linux OSes optimised for our hardware and applications.
- Designing and developing scripts and software to support the management and operation of our embedded software.
- Supporting production as new products are introduced, ensuring there are correct controls for deploying the correct embedded OS and firmware to each product and that each system is fully testable.
- Taking responsibility for ensuring the embedded systems are secure and kept up to date.
- Supporting the software development team to ensure all the firmware applications are compatible and optimised.
- Support application testing through the creation and management of support tools along with data management solutions.
- Enhancing our embedded platforms to support new features and keeping them relevant for future applications and sensors.
- At least 2+ years of embedded software development using C / C++ / Python.
- BSC, BEng in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- Excellent communicator and must be comfortable working within a high-tech team environment.
- Excellent knowledge of working with Linux in an embedded system including Bash scripting.
- Experience of patching the Linux kernel to support different hardware configurations.
- Experience deploying, managing and patching Linux distributions and associated core packages.
- Excellent knowledge of networking including IPV4, routing, DNS, DHCP, firewalls and network traffic analysis.
- Excellent knowledge of x86 architecture and associated hardware platforms, including servers and industrial PCs.
- Good knowledge of SoC systems and associated hardware including ARM.
- Experience with Docker and containers would be ideal.
- Experience of working with certificates for authentication and encryption.
Salary and benefits
£50,000-£60,000 per annum
Other benefits include a generous profit share bonus scheme, pension contributions and holiday loyalty scheme.